View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
PR-Giants
Commercial Grower

BananaBucks : 2,363
Said "Thanks" 2,900 Times
Was Thanked 12,461 Times in 3,620 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3,204 Times
Default Re: Has anyone tasted Variegated "Florida"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderKeeper View Post
I got the feeling that this variety may not have good fruit for fresh eating like the AeAe. If it does have good eating fruits, then the growers would jump allover to tell everyone about how good it is. Oh well , I just grow AeAe.
I think it's a much better dessert banana than the aeae but the aeae is a great cooking banana. Overall I'd say the florida tastes ok but the people I know growing it up north say it tastes excellent and it's really not important because taste has a lot to do with what's available. Most bananas taste good but if you always have better tasting bananas available than good isn't good enough. I'm sure there are people that like Pisang Awak but for us the chance we wouldn't have better bananas available is zero so our's are used for making compost. Pisang Awak are great bananas for making compost and during drought conditions when most other plants have difficulties growing these plants do very well. Here are some variegated Pisang Awak types we harvested yesterday that will be used to feed some Florida plants.

PR-Giants Photo Gallery

15,000+ Varieties

PR-Giants is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To PR-Giants
Said thanks: