View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 07:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
louis14

BananaBucks : 54,146
Said "Thanks" 155 Times
Was Thanked 559 Times in 140 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default First macro propagation attempt

I thought I would keep the forum informed of our first trials at macro propagation.
We have built two wooden boxes in 2m x 1m

and lined the bottom and sides with a sheet of black 300 micron LDPE, filled the box with 30 kgs of sawdust and positioned about 30 pared corms of Thai variety Kluai Hom (Gros Michel)

We started this 8 days ago. The sawdust is being kept nice and damp, initially given three watering cans H2O and this is the dosage we are giving every three days now. The boxes are covered with clear 150 micron PE sheet, tied down with string.
Yesterday, I checked the corms. It's nice and hot and damp in the boxes, outside afternoon temperature is 40C right now. A few had dominant buds growing which I promptly killed. Some have already developped new roots which are 5cm long and showing up on the surface of the sawdust.

We have built another two boxes now and will start the same process with Kluai Namwah as soon as the corms become available.
For both varieties, we are using large corms, about 15cm in diameter.
I'll will keep you updated on developments.
louis14 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To louis14
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors