View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Iowa

Zone: 5
Name: Mike
BananaBucks : 43,509
Said "Thanks" 571 Times
Was Thanked 1,017 Times in 381 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 597 Times
Default Re: Help with nats and overwintering

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTerrier View Post
So this is my first year growing bananas. I am in Zone 5/6. My musa Basjoo is in my garage doing fine in a planter, but I am having some trouble with the veinte cohol and rajapuri.

The veinte cohol and rajapuri were acquired just at the end of my growing seasoon, so didn't have much time to establish. They both only have a small portion of a leaf emerging from the pseudostem.
But the real issue I am having is that they both are infested with what looks to be nats. They are living in the soil and flying theoughout the house. I have tried applying neem oil, but that doesn’t seem to be working.

Can I remove the plants from the soil and somehow overwinter them without soil?
Use some yellow sticky traps to help catch them. There are some poisons to water with, but you may not want to use them on your Banana's. Let the soil dry out, these nat's live in wet soil. Your plants will go dormant this time of year and won't use much water anyway. So let them dry out between waterings. Too much water in the dormant season will rot the root's.
Growing Musa Orinoco since 1993 - Added 2018-Basjoo, Zebrina' Rojo, Ensete Red Abyssinian - Added 2019-Goldfinger - Added 2020-Kokopo (Short Cycle), Double (Mahoi), Highgate, Super Dwarf Cavendish - Added 2021-Pisang Ceylon(Mysore), Musa Margarita, Ensete Ventricosum - Added 2023 - Siam Ruby

Last edited by Iowa : 02-09-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Iowa
Said thanks: