View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Orly

Zone: 10
BananaBucks : 8,025
Said "Thanks" 41 Times
Was Thanked 150 Times in 52 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Advice on choosing ornamental nanas for landscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytaylor77 View Post
Ornata can get fairly tall!!

Velutina is a shorter type. Only pink fuzzy flowers though.

Lesiocarpa (Japanese yellow) is a very pretty long lasting big yellow flower. They stay short. They pup like the world is ending!

Lots of super dwarf cavendish down there would do ok and make a very cool (edible) hedge! Careful though a lot don’t flower. Logees sells one that flowers. So does JD from Cameron, LA. He’s on here and ususally has a lot of pups.

Many other seeded ones but it may be hard to get the planting material. I’m sure there is others if you can find the plants!

Keep us updated!
Wow, some of those are beautiful. Great colors. Choosing is where I have difficulty.
The Velutina and Lesiocarpa would be nice lookers. I don't mind cutting the occasional pups but I wonder how crazy the Lesiocarpa gets.

The Ensete Maurelii Red Abyssinian Banana tree looks quite appealing too but seems to grow quite large. I imagine keeping it root-bound in a large container could solve that.
Blood banana - Musa Zebrina is another good looker.
I don't think I want edibles in the front yard. I'd get anal about fertilizing them for yield and just spend too much time and fert I think.

Thx

Last edited by Orly : 01-10-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Orly is online now   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Orly
Said thanks: