Thread: Water?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 88,706
Said "Thanks" 1,741 Times
Was Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 414 Times
Default Re: Water?

Thanks for the mentioning of my older thread & post. Thanks for confirming your experience and conclusions for growing young small TC plantlets. This is needed to validate the growing instructions & methods for young small TC plantlets.

As for watering young TC plantlets I think allowing the pot to dry out is not correct for these. However, for those growers that 'eye ball' the pots this may be the only way to insure not over watering or having soggy soil. ... I believe the better way is to use a long stem moisture meter to check pot moisture at different levels and at the corm. I believe the moisture should be kept at a moist level not dry & not wet or soggy (flooding the pot until water runs put the drain holes). And, keep misting the plantlets to offset low humidity to prevent drying of the leaves & pstem.

Of the 5 TC plantlets I bought from Fla Hill, only One (Gros Mich) survived and is now about 3 ft tall. These are very difficult to grow if you don't live in South Florida and don't have a lawn chair for shade. (...haha...) I now have a green house if/when I purchase more TCs.

A method of potting I tried and I believed helped to some of my Truly Tinys and the Gros Mich TC was to pot these up (1 gal pot) with well drain potting soil (50/50 mix), but pack the roots & corm in sand at the top. This helped to keep the corm & roots dryer & more air while allowing the roots to grow down into the more moist potting soil. These sat under taller in ground banana plants all summer & received water every day when the patch was watered. The plants were repotted to bigger pots 2 weeks ago with regular pine bark potting mix (super fast draining).

Last edited by edwmax : 12-27-2017 at 09:31 AM.
edwmax is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To edwmax
Said thanks: