View Single Post
Old 12-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
louis14

BananaBucks : 54,120
Said "Thanks" 155 Times
Was Thanked 559 Times in 140 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Lowering transplanted sucker failure ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytaylor77 View Post
In my experience transplanting namwah/Pisang awak types they have a more moist pstem tissue compared to other varieties. I’m sure you notice picking them up, you feel more “flex” in the pstem. I have found this causes them to rot easier under very moist conditions. They are very hardy once established.

I don’t think the roots would be an issue or the corm healing in the shade. If anything less roots would prevent rot. I also had higher Pisang awak failures. I ended up coping what they do in India. India grows more Pisang Awak than anywhere! They plant the corms higher. Just under the surface! Very shallow! I also chop the pstem down on taller pups to prevent them from falling over due to the shallow planting. I saw a HUGE difference. I now plant almost everything this way.
Since they are shallow I leave room to “earth up” around them. I always wait until they are 3 months old or so. Then i add soil around the corms upto about 4”. This still leaves room to add more and more loose new compost/manure/etc over the growing season. By the end of the year i will have added 8-10”. Since your on a larger scale you may want to add the 8” or so at the 3 month mark.

Test some next planting. I think it will help you a lot. Additional things I’m sure you know. Limit fertilizer until you have a couple leaves established. Also limit irrigation until they are pushing new growth (3-4 weeks).

Good luck!
You have a very nice planting area.
Feel free to PM me. I can try to dig up more info if you need it.
Many thanks for such a precise and experienced answer. We will apply your advice immediately as we are planting right now and identify the rows with the different planting depth and evaluate. I am also fascinated by your comment about the amount of root. It is now the dry season so the workers have to wet the soil to dig the hole, they then water right after transplanting the pup to settle the earth around the corm . The dew is heavy at the moment and night temperature is down to 8 degrees C but the afternoon sun is hot and afternoon temperature can be 33 C. Daytime humidity is quite low as we are in the north. So do you mean that after this, we should not water at all until a couple of leaves have developped? We have reddish sandy soil with rapid water absorption.

Last edited by louis14 : 12-28-2017 at 02:31 AM.
louis14 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To louis14
Said thanks: