View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
aruzinsky

Zone: 6a (10 miles east of 5b)
Name: Steve
BananaBucks : 160,532
Said "Thanks" 15 Times
Was Thanked 784 Times in 316 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Re: Strelitzia Mandelas gold dry from the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanknauf View Post
Dear Arusinzky,

thank you for your reply.

1. I'm not sure about that. But I will see in a couple of years. It is about 120 Strelitzia Reginae Mandelas Gold and about 20 Strelitzia juncea.

2. I'm about to change the potting medium. I already ordered new pots.

3. I use fertilizer very delicately. It is a regular fertilizer of good quality that works perfectly fine for all of my banana plants for years. The lamps also did a great job for all kind of plants for years. It is Osram 840 4000K. There is no dolomitic lime.

Today I discovered new damaged plants. It is a bit worrying. It's 12 out of 140 now within a week. I though today if this is what 'burnt' leaves from fertilizer look like? Because it only affects the youngest leave. At the old ones roll slightly. I attached a new photo from tonight.

Best

Stefan
I have never encountered those symptoms on strelitzia but I encountered very similar symptoms on potted canna 'Bethany' (Tropicanna Gold). The emerging leaf rolls would develop necrotic spots, stop growing, and die. This would force the plants to rapidly produce suckers but the individual plants never grew more than 8 inches high. (That was great for multiplying plants but that was not what I wanted.) And, root growth was very good, maybe, too good. After I transplanted outdoors in the ground, the symptoms disappeared and the plants matured and flowered normally. I never figured out the cause. I suspect that my potting media was too acid, but, my other varieties of canna grew well in it.
aruzinsky is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To aruzinsky
Said thanks: