View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 02:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
nealnick5
Nick

Zone: 7b
Name: Nick
BananaBucks : 2,370
Said "Thanks" 70 Times
Was Thanked 80 Times in 23 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Musa Aeae White Variegated

Thank you so much Tytaylor. Yes, yours are awesome in the pictures! I will keep that in mind; I will probably let it sit in the pot for a year (during the summer it'll be in a spot that ONLY gets morning sun) until the pseudostem is about 5ft tall, as you said.

I have never read anything about nitrogen in the soil affecting the white parts so I will be on the lookout for that in dealing with my plant as well. The only reason I brought it up was because people on a forum a while back (I forget the site) said theirs became greener with each leaf in full sun. I believe this because, from observing my rice paper plants, euphorbia viguieri, euphorbia neohumbertii, and Dorstenia foetida when taken from a shady area to full sun, I learned that plants adapt. When "shady" plants are presented with full sun, they adapt by losing all large/dark green (current) leaves and growing new ones that are much smaller and have a waxy coating. This prevents photo-oxidation and henceforth, they can adapt to full sun. This is mainly why I was wondering.. if a plant can change its entire leaf-structure and coating, I found it plausible that variegated banana plants could adapt by showing less and less green per new leaf. But this is just speculation. (quick link to photo-oxidation: BASIC ENVIRONMENTAL PHOTOBIOLOGY)

You know from experience about veriegated bananas, however, and I will take your advice! Perhaps banana plants are more simplistic since the plants I listed live after blooming or something.. who knows. Thank you BUNCHES haha
nealnick5 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To nealnick5