View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
MusaZombie

Zone: 4b
BananaBucks : 9,912
Said "Thanks" 16 Times
Was Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: Proper care when first getting a TC plant from grower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanana View Post
Ok, so I got my order of 6 plants from Florida Hill Nursery, and they were in baggies so I potted the larger ones in 3 gallon pots and the smaller Blue Javas in 2 gallons. They barely have any roots or rootball to speak of so how much water do they need and I know I read they need to stay out of the direct sun for 2 weeks, but when is a good time to get them in full sun as I live in SW Florida and even though a lot of people are bringing their plants indoors I will be trying to maximize the time they get full sun even though the nights are dropping into the high 60s here.
Water them enough to keep the soil moist, but not drenched. Depending on your specific environment that might mean once every other day or once every three days or once and hour for 10 seconds (automated system).

The direct sun thing is basically about shock from transplantation. It's not a hard and fast rule but rather a good practice so they can focus on building roots. I've generally kept them out of direct sun for a week, or thereabouts. The high 60s are fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanana View Post
Also when is a good time to start fertilization while they are in pots?
If your soil is good you likely don't need to fertilize right away. I'd give it a while. You could mix some mycorrhizae into the soil though, to help root growth.
MusaZombie is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MusaZombie
Said thanks:
Sponsors