View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #33 (permalink)
PR-Giants
Commercial Grower

BananaBucks : 2,137
Said "Thanks" 2,900 Times
Was Thanked 12,461 Times in 3,620 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3,204 Times
Default Re: I guess I am now a banana surgeon... Any ideas what it is?

You have Cosmopilites Sordidus aka banana corm weevil and implementing good cultural practices is the easiest way to control the insect. Most likely you also have nematodes but again implementing good cultural practices is the easiest control. IMO baiting traps are a waste of time and pesticides can work but at a cost and there is also labor involved with the application. Implementing cultural practices that have no cost or labor are preferable when dealing with an ongoing problem. Eradication is not really a solution because you probably have neighbors providing refuge and the adult weevil have very few predators. You have eggs, larvae, and adults so start by identifying which is the simplest to control and then learn how to control it. There is more than enough information available on the International Banana Society website that these problems shouldn't even be a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputinc7 View Post
O.K.
I have begun implementing steps to control nematodes and give my poor plants a fighting chance. I only wish I had done this nearly a year ago. Here are some of the hilites...
I dug out the sand about 3 ft wide and a foot or so deep. Filled with good fertile soil and kitty litter (instead of vermiculite. It loosens soil and adds natural acidic clay for a fraction of the cost.) after a bleach bath and some trimming. Also added Azomite to soil and Mykos innoculant to roots.
See how well the last surgery helped out the Paggi... lots of nice new roots and a strong cigar shooting... I hated to dig it up but know they would just come back in a few months.

Sand is supposed to be the best thing for nematodes to spread in, so out with all the sand... Here is what I used to fill the hole:

Plus a little of this...

The bag of manure is the one I use for fertilizing as it is .5. 5. 5 like black cow (only much less expensive.). The other bags I filled the hole with are also cow manure and compost but at the rate of .05 .05 .05. Both from walmart.

Paggi roots covered in Mykos innoculant before planting..

All done. Back in the ground all safe and sound...

I did the same for the VC out by the fence which was nearly dead. Went to lift it out after digging and outer PS was like slime...slipped off like rotten skin. It also had some damage inside the PS... See here, the VC and it's pup...

I trimmed off a bunch of small pups to keep the strength for growing and getting strong...

The pup...

Something in the PS... (Nothing in PS of Paggi.)

PR-Giants Photo Gallery

15,000+ Varieties

PR-Giants is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To PR-Giants
Said thanks: