View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
nealnick5
Nick

Zone: 7b
Name: Nick
BananaBucks : 57,190
Said "Thanks" 336 Times
Was Thanked 372 Times in 107 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Drummer Musa Itinerans var. Gigantea

Hello all, this is my first post. My name is Nick and I live in Virginia. I am crazy about most plants but the Musa basjoo is what got me into banana plants in the first place. I discovered how cold hardy they were and decided I had to have one. I bought 2 4" potted basjoos online but that was not enough for me. I then bought 2 large ones for $45 apiece from a nursery and later 6 medium sized ones for $100 total. My good friend at another nursery gave me over 150 (not even exaggerating) and it's safe to say I finally have enough. I also have 1 zebrina and a dwarf cavendish that grew a ton this summer. And I also received a musa aeae in the mail today as well.

I recently discovered Musa ingens (as I must have the tallest of everything from the Mexican Cardon cactus to the Coastal Redwood). Unfortunately, they are essentially unattainable and supposedly will not live outside of Papau New Guinea's climate. So, I did some research and settled for the next best thing, the Musa Itinerans var Gigantea, growing up to 40ft in height and being surprisingly cold hardy.

After eons of searching Google, I narrowed the results down to seriously only 2 websites that sell seeds and only 1 site that sells live versions. After researching some more, I decided the live plant option was out, since they were simply selling the basic Musa Itinerans and passing it off as the Gigantea (according to a Bananas.com thread. So I settled with the seeds (what option did I have left?) I tried seedman.com after investigating and feeling they were trustworthy, and ordered 15 for $17.

I received them in the mail today and am soaking them in water for 24 hours. Only 2 are floating (which generally means a seed is not viable), so that's good. I have prepared a moist (not soggy) glass jar full of soil for them and as soon as they finish soaking, I'll put them in, close the lid to seal in the moisture, and wait. I will keep you all updated if I do or do not make any progress. Wish me luck!
Growing: Ensete ventricosum 'maurelli', Musa balbisiana 'Thai Black', bordelon, basjoo, Dwarf Cavendish, Dwarf Orinoco, itinerans var. itinerans, lasiocarpa, orinoco (tall), saba, sikkimensis 'Red Tiger', TaNee, zebrina, VDN (green), 1000 fingers, praying hands, ornata purple, veluntina, french red, super dwarf cavendish, dwarf iholena, red iholena, balbisiana (yellow), kru, mananzo, zebrina var. gran nain.
nealnick5 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To nealnick5
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors