View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 08:11 AM   #33 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 88,627
Said "Thanks" 1,741 Times
Was Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 414 Times
Default Re: Surprise, Surprise Bud!

Thanks TY ...

This part of the field is in a low area with 40 acres draining to it. This section is usually too wet in the spring to plow & plant. A thick layer of sand is about 12" below the surface which water drains though during the year. ... I just have to watch out for really long droughts. I do have water near by and I plan to put in a sprinkler system hopefully next year. ... This area seems to me to be near perfect for banana plants to grow or at least the best for me. My old patch for 18 years did well for itself without tending here.

I planted the nanas closer together than most of the forum members recommend. This was because it appears to me the plant loves being crowded which is the nature of pups being so close to Mama. The bigger plants shade the younger pup & each other from the strong hot sun. As the sun moves during the day a different plant takes over shading duty for a short while. ... Man, it is cool under these plants on a hot day.

As for as work, after planting, I just kept the area mowed and fertilized the plants. I didn't expect to have any bunched this year on these plants so I didn't fertilize heavy. My mistake, I should have. .... I'm thinking to fertilize again in November and then again in January. The pstems may be dead from the winter cold but the corm is still growing under ground and the fertilizer will be immediately available to the plant next spring when it breaks ground. ... Also, next year I plan to triple the normal dose of fertilizer to force budding sooner.

Anyway, this is how I'm doing it ... at least until I learn better.

Last edited by edwmax : 10-28-2017 at 08:30 AM.
edwmax is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To edwmax
Said thanks: