View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 04:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tytaylor77
Banana Plants for Trade

Zone: 8b
Name: Ty
BananaBucks : 41,139
Said "Thanks" 4,612 Times
Was Thanked 3,725 Times in 1,185 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 424 Times
Default Re: Bananas grow smaller each year...

I would like to see someone come rotate my sweetheart and tall namwa. And I donít even grow in ďmatsĒ. I keep 1-2 plants per spot. There are studies in India that show after 5 years micronutrients can become depleted. This could be your problem.

If you just make it a point that everytime you dig a pup fill the hole with compost or manure. Also remember bananas have 99% of their roots in the top 1í foot of soil! So lots of mulch and lots of topfill! Keep pups numbers down as low as possible and fertilize with heavy nitrogen and potash.

The tropical areas your talking about where they rotate bananas is not by choice! They do this to leave farrow ground because of nematodes! Nematode problems can cause major issues. I have a friend in zone 7a dealing with root rot nematode problems. So dont think nematodes canít touch you in your sub tropical zone! Be very vigilant who and where you get your corms from. A 1:4 bleach soak is cheap and easy! Make it a habit! It doesnít harm the corm at all!

Rootless corms are best! Iíve received rooted corms in the past. Knowing what I know now I will never again! Bare root only! Everything in/out gets a bleach soak and roots thinned. Make sure roots are cut back and thinned out so the bleach can get to all areas of the corm. If your still buying rooted corms from the tropics, you are playing Russian roulette with your bananas and whole garden! I donít care if itís a soilless mix! Those roots came from the ground!! It is almost impossible to rid yourself of harmful nematodes once you get them! Be safe about it! Itís not worth the risk!!