View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
geissene

Zone: 6
Name: Erik
BananaBucks : 28,559
Said "Thanks" 186 Times
Was Thanked 445 Times in 149 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Re: Banana Plant to produce fruit zone5/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTerrier View Post
Ok, so I never considered the timing of the flowering, which I can see would be very important in my growing zone. How can I ensure the flowering at the correct time?

Also assuming the dwarf Orinoco and raja puri can both produce in zone 5, which of the 2 is the better tasting? I understand this matter is subjective, but assuming I am looking for the variety closest to a common store bought banana?

The best way to time flowering is to understand when a flower should arrive. Some people can tell by the size of the plant and when the plant reaches terminal height. I'm not that smart yet, so I have started counting leaves and marking the Pstem with a permanent marker as it grows. Most bananas flower after 30 to 35 leaves.

I think you can control the growth speed with watering and fertilizer. I also heard that people remove or trim back green leaves to slow a plant down. I trim mine in fall, but mainly so that I have practical sized plants for indoors. This isn't ideal for fruiting, but its a compromise tactic.

Good luck!

Erik
geissene is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To geissene
Said thanks: