View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 02:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tytaylor77
Pups Avaliable for Trade!

Zone: 8b
Name: Ty
BananaBucks : 16,813
Said "Thanks" 3,734 Times
Was Thanked 2,785 Times in 948 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 374 Times
Default Re: Banana Plant to produce fruit zone5/6

It will take a few years for you to learn your area and zone. Like in my area "most" Musa take 280-350 days including winter to flower. So I can select my new pup to take the mothers place the correct time to best give a flower come late spring. It's different for everyone and will take time.

To me Orinocos are good. If they are grown properly (water, fertilizer, etc) the "wild" ones that fruit without anyone actually growing to me taste horriable!! I get 10+ bunches of dwarf Orinoco every year and rarely throw them out unless they have a core. By store cavendish standards to me both are miles above! The Orinoco is sweether, dense, creamy, and larger. It's not in my top 10 but still a good banana if you live outside of the tropics and have a limited selection to grow.

The raja puri. Is an excellent banana. MUCH better than the Orinoco. It is sweet with some fruitiness. Almost like some pineapple flavor. I just had 2 flowers on mine, just in time for winter!! I'm gonna try to get a hand out of them, but have doubts they will fill in time.