View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
peterchris

BananaBucks : 4,645
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Ensete maurelii in trouble!

Dear Banana people!

I have an Ensete maurelii that is very sick. The problem started with yellowing leaves, then brown spots, then dying leaves. I dug it out of the ground and found a lot of soft, decaying material. I cleaned it off, down to healthy tissue, and found holes in the rootstock. I caught a glimpse of a white larva that retreated into one of the holes. I have left the plant out of the ground to dry and, I hope, kill any remaining larvae.

I'm planning to put it in a pot now, in a fast-draining mix of commercial potting soil and cinder, which is commonly used here in mixing soil for potted plants.

I used to grow E. maurelii in New Jersey. It was so easy! In one summer the plant would grow so fast, then in the fall I'd cut off the leaves (and sometimes a good part of the stem), put it in a large pot, and keep it in a cool greenhouse.

Here, near Honokaa, Hawaii, the plant grew slowly, and the shape (when it was doing well!) was wide rather then tall.

I have other bananas on the property here that grow like weeds. I guess this one is a little difficult. But I wonder why it got so sick. We had a dry period, so I started watering it, and then this happened.

Did the grubs cause the dying leaves? Or did they move in and start eating the plant after it got sick?

I'm on the public water system, and have acidic soil.

Thanks,
Peter

P. S. I'm trying to attach two photos (that I posted in the gallery) here. Will try again later...

Last edited by peterchris : 09-14-2017 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Photos didn't attach
peterchris is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To peterchris

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors