View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Island Brah

Zone: 7b & 8a Border
Name: Island Brah
BananaBucks : 56,169
Said "Thanks" 556 Times
Was Thanked 345 Times in 117 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 27 Times
Default Re: 2017 and Irma Aftermath

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwmax View Post
Glad you and family are Ok. ... The nanas look great. Just trim the broken leaves; stand any that are leaning back up. In a couple of weeks you wont hardly notice the storm damage to the plants. ... I surprised that storm still had 50 mph winds by the time it reached Atlanta & the North side.

I got a few plants, williams, gran nain, 1000 finger, dw red, orinoco, from a pup to a base that is 2X as big as my leg. Almost as big as a power pole.
My neighbor is a weather nut and he clocked winds at 66 mph! Truly insane for the metro Atlanta area!

Yeah I cut all the broken leaves off and tried to stand it back before I posted this. Its so wicked how the leaves wrapped around everything like an Ace bandage. I cannot straighten the Manzano back up without having to dig most of it up. The roots on the side the wind blew it to literally feels like it imploded because the roots broke! The whole ground moves like its sitting in mud but its not mud, if that makes sense (hard to explain without showing what I mean).

I'll be digging them all up to dry-store in the garage at the end of October/early November anyways so I'm going to leave it be. Just cutting the 7 foot long heavy leaves made it perk back up some. it should be just fine and will flower early next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytaylor77 View Post
Amazing job Nick!! And I know how your plants looked just a month or 2 ago. I would say this is half a years growth!! I truly can't wait to see what they look like next year!!

Congrats man your hard work shows!!

Thanks dude! I really appreciate you sending me most of them, showing me the ropes, and answering 1000 novice questions over the years. you're a great friend! Next year and every year after I will have fruiting bananas from many different cultivars. Now is when it gets fun!

I'm still kind of mad at you for giving me this freak of nature TALL Veinte Cohol HAHA!