View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 02:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
crusader657

BananaBucks : 800
Said "Thanks" 16 Times
Was Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: Banana Plant to produce fruit zone5/6

Hi BTerrier
Absolutely concur with Ty (above). There was a nursery I used to frequent in Hampshire, UK, where the owner had planted a Cavendishii in the ground inside his warmest greenhouse, where it was constantly more than 16c (about 61f), rising to 35c to 38c (around 95f to 100f) in summer, and the fruit from that beautiful plant was beyond compare. It also looked far better than they do on banana farms because the leaves were undamaged by weather etc. It was about 9' tall and the leaves must've been around 6' long. I used to stand and stare at it in awe! If you were to buy a small greenhouse and recreate the temperatures and light levels they do on farms, or close to that, you would have your fruit in a few years time, and all that beauty every single day.
I haven't tried Musa Orinoco fruit yet, but it is certainly famous for its ability to fruit in the zones you and I share. Why not try one next to a south-facing house wall, perhaps with a warm, polythene or similar covering on a frame for winter? You can easily add a very small, inexpensive heater for the really sharp frosts.
Although some Musas are cold hardy, they benefit from protection in winter, and will fruit sooner if treated that way.

Good luck with it BT. You will win if you want to! Dave, UK.

Last edited by crusader657 : 09-12-2017 at 02:53 AM.
crusader657 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To crusader657
Said thanks: