View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #60 (permalink)
Eric1221

Zone: 7
BananaBucks : 35,087
Said "Thanks" 158 Times
Was Thanked 112 Times in 65 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Asimina Triloba (Paw Paw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan searles View Post
I have been growing pawpaws for years, both grafted and from seed. I graft my own now. I think your trees look fine. I am guessing that the trees were potted when you got them. What happens is that the soil in the pot becomes deficient and when you plant them in the ground and the roots start growing into the soil the problem will correct itself. All of the trees are plenty large enough to take full sun and the trees will fruit much better with full sun. But when they leaf out in the shade they tend to burn with sun on the shade grown leaves. I love pawpaw trees and I love the fruit. Many of mine are small but I have about 30 different varieties.
Thank you! It seems that the tree has corrected itself. It grew really well and has a nice full shape emerging. They've only been in the ground since last year and they were just 12-18 inch sticks last year. This year they put on some serious growth. I can see the start of their main shapes beginning - like the main stem and then lateral branches - very vigorous growth this year compared to last year! How much water do pawpaws usually need? I know they say they like a lot of water but it's like how often do you water your varieties and what have you noticed about what works?
I am very fascinated and excited about growing Pawpaws (Asimina triloba). I also am equally fascinated and excited to be growing: Pawpaw cultivars, Echinacea purpurea 'magnus', Asclepias tuberosa Butterfly Weed, Musa basjoo Cold Hardy Banana, Lycium barbarum 'Sweet Lifeberry', Passiflora incarnata 'hardy native maypop'.

Future projects: Indigenous/native host plants for butterflies such as: Zizia aurea Golden Alexanders, Eutrochium maculatum Joe Pye Weed, Asclepias incarnata Rose Milkweed.
Eric1221 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Eric1221
Said thanks: