View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Richard
Retired.

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 601
Said "Thanks" 3,286 Times
Was Thanked 11,258 Times in 4,319 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,667 Times
Default Tales of SH-3640's

Some time ago in a place not too far away ... Greenie began growing this SH 3640.

SH-3640 9/15/07

I'm not sure how he obtained it -- perhaps from NANAMAN, or visa-versa, or ...?

Anyway, with no surprise pup(s) of this plant eventually found their way to bananimal and then (through servatusprime) to crazy banana. And I -- having wanted this plant (Greenie's) for nearly a decade was thrilled to obtain one from her last year.

In the meantime PR-Giants began distributing SH-3640 'High Noon' a few years ago. I presume he obtained this cultivar from TARS Mayaguez. I believe this is the plant being grown by HMelendez, TyTaylor, and possibly several others.

It has been pointed out elsewhere that these two plants have nearly identical growth habit and appearance but the inflorescences do not match. What I have observed about the plant I'm growing:
- Cavendish-like structure with petioles following one right after another
- Red edges along petioles but green midribs
- Broad leaves
So that leads me to believe its genetics contain two 'AA's followed by a 'B' and 'A' in unknown order. But I have yet to see an inflorescence and probably won't until next year. Time will tell.

8 million banana bucks and counting.
Frequently found at GrowingFruit.org

Last edited by Richard : 08-11-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Richard
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors