View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
aruzinsky

Zone: 6a (10 miles east of 5b)
Name: Steve
BananaBucks : 159,720
Said "Thanks" 15 Times
Was Thanked 781 Times in 315 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Re: Photobucket won't host photos for free, so I need to upload some here

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwmax View Post
I've never used photobucket because I have my own sever, but I have noticed the blocked links for other users. The error message usually indicates the account band width has been exceeded.

... Anyway I just now linked to the photobucket homepage to see what the free account limits were. It appears that Photobucket no longer offer FREE hosting. accounts with hosting, and 3rd party linking start at $40 per month. I suspect this change was necessitated by huge band width usage & cost from the free accounts.

Many computer users have a working older system that can be easily setup as a web sever from your home. And this will allow you to keep your photos & files under your control. You only need a broadband internet connection with a static IP or use "dynamic IP".

If anyone is interested PM me and I'll give you links to FREE programs for the HTML sever and help you setup. ... This also a good way for Mobile users to be able to access & back up files or fax when away from home.
Don't you also need to register a domain name for about $35/year? If not, what does the URL look like?

Also, a server needs to run continuously, right? At 50 watts and an electric cost of $0.11/kWhr, the electric cost to run a server would be $4/month.

With domain name registration ($35/year), you can rent web space for about $4/month from a web hosting service and not worry about server side software. Thus, the monthly cost would be about $7/month.

Last edited by aruzinsky : 07-26-2017 at 10:25 AM.
aruzinsky is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To aruzinsky