View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 10:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tytaylor77
Banana Plants for Trade

Zone: 8b
Name: Ty
BananaBucks : 47,401
Said "Thanks" 4,612 Times
Was Thanked 3,726 Times in 1,185 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 424 Times
Default Re: Pups best practice?

I have tested several ways. Including everything listed above. I have received everything from rotten corms, corms sent around the world, tiny TC plantlets sent from the USDA Tars. My own cut corms. And tiny Nubs off those corms. Everyone has a different way that works best for them! So there is no wrong way if you have good success with it.

I have read a study about corm roots (non banana) but similar roots. The big roots you see are "transport roots" you can compare banana roots to our circulatory system. The veins and arteries are the "transport roots" the fine hair roots and microscopic roots are the important ones that do the important work. When you expose those roots to air and even worse the sun! They burn up quickly. Within a few minutes the fine hair roots and the ones you can't even see are GONE. Dried and burnt up. This is why in my opinion it is very important to wrap and seal the roots fast as possible. I've noticed a HUGE difference since I've started doing this. Try it! It will cut back days of transplant shock!!

The best way I have found is these for each situation. My way takes work but I have had by far the best results doing this. If anyone has questions on details, etc just PM anytime. Im happy to share all my methods!

If I'm digging the pup for someone (Shipping) the best method is: Before you start have paper towels and a plastic bag ready. Dig the pup and Immediately wrap the roots with paper towels,make them moist (mist on faucet head is awesome), plastic, seal with tape. And your done.

If I'm digging for myself to plant: I dig the plant and immediately plant it into my same mix 50/50 potting soil and perlite. Put it in full shade and water once per 7 days until I have a full leaf out! And I let it grow until I get a tight rootball then i plant into the ground being very careful not to break the rootball. If you don't break the rootball you will have NO transplant shock.

If the corm is wrapped in moist paper or paper towels: I unwrap it and plant into a pot with 50% premium potting soil and other 50% perlite! Then I do the "digging for myself" above.

If it's dry out shipped from someone: I clean the corm. Take off all old roots and any soft corm then reroot in course sand. After a few days I check for roots and transfer to the same 50/50 mix and do the "doing it for myself" above.

If the corm is shipped rooted and in soil: your done, if it has a good rootball transplant it to the ground.

Last edited by Tytaylor77 : 06-20-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Tytaylor77 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tytaylor77
Said thanks: