View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 12:00 AM   #21 (permalink)
momoese
Banana grower

Zone: zone 10
BananaBucks : 272
Said "Thanks" 3,639 Times
Was Thanked 10,483 Times in 3,149 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 713 Times
Default Re: 'Doomsday' Seed Bank to open in Norway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Suppose you want to introduce a genetic marker that is not present in a subsection of the genetics (rRNA subsection) of the target plant. However, you find an otherwise identical subsection in another organism. You then use tools (proteins, really) that will perform this replacement surgery for you.

One variety of very sweet, high-protein white corn that has been a lifesaver in 3rd world countries was produced this way by "borrowing" subsections from the genetics of a wheat variety and another sweet corn variety.
Richard, I have had this conversation Frank(bigdog) and others before. I didn't say all GMO's are bad, I have no proof of that, but I do not condone them. That's my opinion and it's based on common sense.

Cross pollination from GMO crops is indisputable period.

Just remember that all seeds that are being modified with what ever have you were once heirloom seeds. I can't stress enough the importance of saving the heirloom strains for the future, whether it be for more GMO testing or to correct the damage that GMO may cause to the human food chain.

And I'll say this again, if we need GMO crops to support human life then we just have to many people here. It's pretty simple!
momoese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To momoese