View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #21 (permalink)
meizzwang

Zone: 9b
BananaBucks : 69,294
Said "Thanks" 647 Times
Was Thanked 1,032 Times in 218 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Tall banana, any ideas what it is? (pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputinc7 View Post
The only problem with that is that Namwah plants characteristically have a distinctive pink midrib, especially when young. (Mauve is more accurate, but most people don't know what that is.) Anyway, those leaves have a light green midrib so it is doubtful it is Namwah unless it is really sad.
It seems that due to phenotypic variance within a clone, it's hard to use the production of anthocyanins or pigments to make a proper ID. For example, I have an Aeae that started heavily variegated when it was potted but after I put it in the ground, every new leaf got less and less variegated to the point where it was producing pure green leaves. I think this happened when the soil pH shot up because I fed the plant nothing but P and K to increase the solutes in the cells and therefore increase cold tolerance. It's also on a gravel bed that probably is slightly basic. However, after placing a top layer of acidic soil for rhododendrons on the root zone this spring, the first leaf to emerge from the Aeae is showing signs of variegation again.
meizzwang is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To meizzwang
Said thanks: