View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Eric1221

Zone: 7
BananaBucks : 35,094
Said "Thanks" 158 Times
Was Thanked 112 Times in 65 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Asimina Triloba (Paw Paw)

*UPDATE* January 2, 2019
Of the three trees (Two Hirt's seedlings and the one KSU Atwood that I planted in Spring 2016) two trees have flower buds that have developed throughout the 2018 growing season. Mainly one tree which is my largest seedling tree (over 6ft tall but averaging around 5-6) with NC-1 grafted onto a bottom branch and Sunflower that I grafted onto a midway branch in Spring 2018. Overall this tree has like 40+ flower buds. It actually bloomed in early Fall and it was amazing to see my first flower developing - it did fall off though. The other smaller seedling has like 4 flower buds but it is a small seedling tree with very few lateral branches and height (around 3-4 ft). The KSU Atwood has reached 6ft tall at it's tallest point but has no flower buds at all. I think in 2019 this tree will develop at least a few or many flower buds. I did plant 5 trees last year. Two are KSU Chappell which one grew almost 4 feet which is crazy to me since the first year I planted my trees in 2016 they only grew like 5-8 inch shoots at most. The other trees I planted were Chappell, Overleese, Potomac and Shenandoah. Plus I have seedlings I directly sowed in the ground in 2017. Overall my trees are all doing well and I am very excited to try cross pollinating the flower buds on the largest seedling. The tree has flower buds that have developed on the seedling portion, the NC-1 graft and even 1 flower bud on the Sunflower graft. Very excited and impressed with how quickly the Hirt's seedling has grown and developed flower buds - especially the willingness to attempt flowering in Fall. Hope everyone is doing well and happy new year! Share anything you can Here is a link to my Youtube channel that has video diaries of the growth of my trees:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzV...zfWylM83q20s2g

Just keeping a record to see how long the tree takes to flower & fruit. Thank you!

*Update* May 1st 2018
The trees are so much bigger this year than any other year so far.. they doubled in size from 2016 for sure.. one seedling tree has big nice leaves and strong growth - grew like a 35 inch shoot last year and developed some flower buds along the trunk.. didn't bloom this year but the flower buds remain on the trunk brown red color - this tree also has the NC-1 grafted on a lower branch and thats alive i see the leaf buds swelling so i'm happy it survived.. my other seedling looks good too - my graft failed last year so theres 3 main branches.. i have sunflower scionwood i'm going to try grafting onto this seedling this year. The KSU Atwood leaf buds are starting to swell and it looks ready to grow - not like last year when it was having nutrient and leaf trouble - I also planted my final pawpaw which is a KSU 4-1 pawpaw.. i setup a shade cloth for it.. it's a tiny stick like 8-9 inches long if that.. Everything seems okay so far!

*UPDATE* Aug. 22nd 2017

It seems that the KSU-Atwood grafted tree has been cured of its stunted growth in the beginning of the season. I'm not exactly sure what was causing the issues for the little tree - it could have been a bit of transplant shock as well as the need for fertilizer - I did give the tree Jobes Organic Acid Loving Formula as well as worm castings and then seaweed & fish fertilizer throughout the season. I stopped with all of the seaweed and fish fertilizer the end of June though. I did this to all three of my trees so ensure they would grow well and they really did! I always try to give a lot of water but I also don't want to drown the trees so I try to be careful with giving too much water. All of the trees grew around 12-29 inch shoots. The KSU-Atwood grew shoots around 12-18 inches. My other seedling grew the largest and longest shoots ranging from 16-31 inches. The last seedling grew about 20-22 inch shoots. It was a successful growing season for the pawpaws. I'm looking forward to their growth next year! I also purchased a KSU 4-1 Pawpaw which I will plant next spring.

Hello all I am currently growing three paw paw trees. Two of the paw paw trees are from Hirt's that I purchased last year (2016) and I also bought a KSU-Atwood paw paw from One Green World last year. This growing season the two paw paws from Hirts are growing quite vigorously and have already put out 3-5 inches of new shoots with leaves (6-7 inches as of today (June 1st 2017)). However, The KSU-Atwood is growing much slower.. the leaves look light green with a discolor on the back, are smaller, and look a little deformed.. not completey deformed but not full or uniform - they look kinda weak almost? And its not growing too much. I am trying to keep the soil moist but i'm wondering if it could be transplant shock still? Last year when I planted all of the paw paws even the ones from Hirt's seemed like they were shocked and establishing themselves because the leaves were small, light green and sort of small looking. However, this faded and the leaves enlarged and they were healthy looking. I'm just wondering whats going on this year with the KSU-Atwood because the other two paw paws next to this tree are flourishing and they are all in full sun (direct sun from 7-8am to 3:30-4pm. The trees are about 2 feet tall each. The KSU-Atwood paw paw may be only 16-18 inches tall. Im gonna try shading it from now on but I was curious if anyone else has any tips or experience with paw paws to know what could be going on? Any other growing tips or experiences I would love to hear. Thank you!
I am very fascinated and excited about growing Pawpaws (Asimina triloba). I also am equally fascinated and excited to be growing: Pawpaw cultivars, Echinacea purpurea 'magnus', Asclepias tuberosa Butterfly Weed, Musa basjoo Cold Hardy Banana, Lycium barbarum 'Sweet Lifeberry', Passiflora incarnata 'hardy native maypop'.

Future projects: Indigenous/native host plants for butterflies such as: Zizia aurea Golden Alexanders, Eutrochium maculatum Joe Pye Weed, Asclepias incarnata Rose Milkweed.

Last edited by Eric1221 : 01-02-2019 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Wanted to give an update
Eric1221 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Eric1221
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors