View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
aruzinsky

Zone: 6a (10 miles east of 5b)
Name: Steve
BananaBucks : 160,794
Said "Thanks" 15 Times
Was Thanked 784 Times in 316 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Re: If You Like A Real Challenge

Here are images of more Old World heliconia cultivars:

'Aureo-Striata':

This is probably the easiest to grow because it has the lowest humidity requirement. I successfully grew it planted in the ground outdoors during the summer in the Chicago area.

Maybe, 'Bangkok':

This looks a little different than the one I grew, but, 'Bangkok' definitely has cream colored blotches.

'Rubra':

This has relatively wide cupped leaves. This image is a scan from A.B. Graph's Tropica. Despite the caption, it is my plant with my back yard lawn in the background and I lent the photo to Mr. Graph. I am uncertain whether the original was a 35mm slide or a Polaroid. If it was a Polaroid, it is now badly faded. Anyway, it is too much work to find and scan the original.

Unlike New World Heliconia, Old World Heliconia have bracts that are the same color as the leaves and, as such, are inconspicuous on the plant. The 'rubricaulis' bracts even have stripes similar to those on the leaves. Some, if not many, Old World Heliconia are pollinated by bats. I suspect that it is impossible to cross Old World and New World Heliconia but that is only my guess.
aruzinsky is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To aruzinsky
Said thanks: