View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ripsaw
RipsawFF

Zone: 10
Name: Ripsaw
BananaBucks : 2,664
Said "Thanks" 115 Times
Was Thanked 71 Times in 35 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: Really really thick st. augustine lawn

I wanted to follow up on this. Actually, most turf experts recommend that Augustine grass be no more than 3-4 inches high, and not less that 2 to 3 inches. Shorter stresses the grass and is considered scalping. Too long and you will need a commercial mower to get through it. It is a tough lawn grass that looks great, but has shallow roots which spread across the yard and requires more water than some types like Bahia grass which has deep roots and doesn't have the runners that Augustine has..

I live in S Florida where Augustine grass is popular because it is so thick and looks good. If I lived in KY or MO, I would prefer a softer bluegrass.

Anyway, a thick... deep Augustine grass is hard to mow with a push or self-propelled mower if too tall. But, mowing it too short stresses it. My guess is to cut about 3 inches high and see if that works for you.

Dethatching Augustine can help depending on your soil type and if that grass is really thick, but in S Florida, soils are sandy and dethatching is not needed much. Problem is that Augustine grass criss-crosses creating a thick mat, and the runners are like wire and hard to cut.

I hope this update helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRES@Don-Murray.com View Post
Hire a commercial mower! Then keep it only a couple inches tall. Or hire a neighborhood teen to mow it for you. LOL!
Ripsaw is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Ripsaw