View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tytaylor77
Banana Plants for Trade

Zone: 8b
Name: Ty
BananaBucks : 47,638
Said "Thanks" 4,612 Times
Was Thanked 3,726 Times in 1,185 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 424 Times
Default Re: For the new guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by druss View Post
Pretty sure my varieties are correct as they come from the government research arm that supplies the entire Australian banana industry. Just found it interesting people had that many problems with getting tc going.
Oh yes your fine. As are the ones from our USDA Tars in PR. I'm talking Agristarts or other commercial US TC labs. All about $ and not about making sure they have the correct plant material. Or they get mixed up at the nursery/online nurseries are the worst. I can name several varieties which are not in TC labs anywhere! But there they are for sale on the online nurseries site. I've emailed some of these "nurseries" asking and they even admit they "swap with a dwarf cavendish because DC has better cold hardiness than cali gold"

I still have that email from a major online nursery if anyone doesn't believe me. I put the blame on the whole start to finish of TC. It's all about making $ over supplying collectors or maintaining varieties. It's really sad.

Going bananas in FL is the only that seems good. They TC their own stuff and I've never heard a mismatch or complaint. They are high though.