View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 12:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
jeffaroo

Zone: 9b
BananaBucks : 71,431
Said "Thanks" 70 Times
Was Thanked 243 Times in 132 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Default For the new guys

I'm sure this will get controversial, but I'm just trying to get the new guys pointed in the right direction without making the mistakes I did.

Stay clear of tissue cultures for now. I know it's tempting with the cheap price, combined shipping deals and all. Instead buy large pups from reputable sellers. This gives a huge jump start into the hobby as well as saving a ton of time. Know your climate zone and what has been proven to grow. Ask questions if your unsure. Enjoy and understand your hobby, again ask questions.

Now back to tissue cultures. I've pretty much given up on them due to the time involved and special care the first year. However treat them as a side hobby and you can aquire some pretty cool specimens. Do your homework on tissue culture sellers. Some are good, many are bad.
I've wasted a lot of time and money buy trying to save a couple of bucks. It's not really worth it. Think about it, tc shipping is cheap because you have no weight. Buy a xl pup and you could pay as much as $15 . Bottom line, you get what you pay for

We're all here for the same reasons. If you need help, just ask.

Happy bananaing

Last edited by jeffaroo : 04-08-2017 at 12:48 AM.
jeffaroo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jeffaroo
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors