View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tytaylor77
Banana Plants for Trade

Zone: 8b
Name: Ty
BananaBucks : 32,984
Said "Thanks" 4,547 Times
Was Thanked 3,640 Times in 1,162 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 423 Times
Default Re: How to prepare corms for shipping?

We don't have the bad corm borers and nematodes like in the tropics so this isn't needed. Some people cut roots. Some people let them callous over. Some send rooted in soil. There is no right or wrong way. It's what you do when they arrive that matters.

I find if you sit out a corm for about 30-45 mins the roots are shot. So if your not keeping them moist you may as well cut them off. If they arrive dry I cut them off. I always dig/rinse/and wrap in moist paper towels asap so the roots don't dry out.

If warm a corm will grow roots in coarse sand in 1 week. 2 weeks max. My method gets a leaf push in 3-5 weeks. Many on here have received my corms and can verify.

In warm weather quartered corms take 4-6 weeks the push a pup rooting in sawdust/shavings.

In course sand nubs push in 2-6 weeks. Not sure what makes some pop up fast.

If it takes anything related to a banana corm 4 months to sprout then something is wrong!

1st- I prefer corms potted and rooted in small pots (shipping is expensive)
2nd - I prefer corms with roots freshly wrapped in moist paper towels and sealed in plastic.
3rd - Dry or calloused corms with dry roots (I cut off)
4th - Cleaned rootless corms.

Nothing wrong with any of the methods. They just have to be handled differently for the fastest growth. Time of year and tempature is a huge factor!

Last edited by Tytaylor77 : 04-05-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Tytaylor77 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tytaylor77
Said thanks:
Sponsors