View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
aruzinsky

Zone: 6a (10 miles east of 5b)
Name: Steve
BananaBucks : 160,656
Said "Thanks" 15 Times
Was Thanked 784 Times in 316 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Re: Alternate between container and ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharriett View Post
We're about a month away from being able to take my GM out in the backyard once again, here in Ohio.

I went to give a bit of fertilizer to it last night, and I noticed it has grown to be root bound in the pot (yes, under grow lights in the winter in Ohio).

We are so close to being able to put it outdoors that I am wondering if I need to do something about this now.

Here's my question: once it is warm enough to sustain growth outside, I'd like to transplant my GM into the ground during the summer months. Then, obviously, put it back into a pot and bring it in during the winter (albeit to a much bigger pot). Can I do this safely?

If I can safely swap between the pot and the ground, think I can wait another month in its current pot? I'd rather not go through the shock of making a pot switch for only one month.

Thanks.
You say that you want to transplant it in "summer months" which is after June 20. That would be correct because soil temperature lags air temperature by about a month and the growth rate of banana plants is mostly determined by soil temperature because banana meristems are located below the soil surface. Similarly, you would get a lot of growth in October because the soil is still warm. But, you can put the potted banana plant outdoors, in the pot, as soon as the danger of frost passes. I advise not to transplant from ground to pot except for suckers. It can be done but you will lose any growth gains that occurred while the plant was in the ground. Just dig up and pot the suckers.
aruzinsky is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To aruzinsky
Said thanks:
Sponsors