Thread: Tissue Culture
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 02:05 AM   #92 (permalink)
greenfumb

Zone: 8a
BananaBucks : 20,078
Said "Thanks" 41 Times
Was Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Tissue Culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
If you are just experimenting, it is fine to use a young TC plant instead of a field grown sucker (if that's what you mean), just as long as it is a healthy growing plant.

If it were a serious professional project and you were producing them in high quantity, then it should be avoided. This is because there tends to be a small number of plants produced from TC which are "off-types", and the resulting plants are not true-to-type. If you use a young tissue cultured plant as starting stock, you have no guarantee the plant is true-to-type and you could be creating a bunch of off-type plants. For this reason, a well run banana tissue culture lab will only produce about 5 subculture cycles from a single sucker, and then discontinue that line and start over from a new field-grown sucker which has been verified true-to-type.
That all makes a lot of sense. I am just experimenting trying to figure out if I want to get into TC, possibly as a business in the future. But for now I am just experimenting. I have a lot of lab glassware and lab equipment from when I had a lab 10 years back. Is there a publication dealing with the chemicals/hormones banana's need during the TC propagation process.
greenfumb is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To greenfumb
Said thanks: