Thread: Mushy mess...
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Eric1221

Zone: 7
BananaBucks : 35,677
Said "Thanks" 158 Times
Was Thanked 112 Times in 65 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Mushy mess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnana View Post
Going back to your original thread I hope your plants were not too young and the corm was somewhat established in the soil.

If all is well underground with the corms your good.
From the freeze you could have just lost your stem to the cold..
They(the corms) should be as if you had mulched them for the winter.

I left this uncut mulched Basjoo in place for the winter.
Basjoo winter kill.

by
Hostafarian
, on Flickr
Closeup of stem at ground level....notice the new leaf(rat tail) that was coming up last fall.
Corms are still good 12-+ inches under the wood chip mulch.

stem
by
Hostafarian
on Flickr
Wow okay well mine didn't even look like that.. they were still stalks but they were soaked and mushy that I could rub water out of them if I pulled the stalk upwards. So I decided to cut it way down and it was crunchy and crisp where I cut it so I just put more dirt over it and then covered it with a plastic cover... I should prob go by mulch now and throw that over it too.. Even though the entire plant dies back down to the ground can you still get a huge plant? The whole reason I wanted to save the stalk in the first place is because I wanted to get a big tree this year like at least 6-10 feet tall.. but I heard that some people don't do anything to their musa basjoo and they die to the ground every year but come back as huge plants (10-15 feet tall) every year.. what has been your experience when they die down to the ground and come back?
I am very fascinated and excited about growing Pawpaws (Asimina triloba). I also am equally fascinated and excited to be growing: Pawpaw cultivars, Echinacea purpurea 'magnus', Asclepias tuberosa Butterfly Weed, Musa basjoo Cold Hardy Banana, Lycium barbarum 'Sweet Lifeberry', Passiflora incarnata 'hardy native maypop'.

Future projects: Indigenous/native host plants for butterflies such as: Zizia aurea Golden Alexanders, Eutrochium maculatum Joe Pye Weed, Asclepias incarnata Rose Milkweed.
Eric1221 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Eric1221
Said thanks: