View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Isaac-1

BananaBucks : 6,987
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default A cow manure question

I am just getting started at growing banans and currently have 3 plants that are growing indoors that I started last fall. I plan to move them to an inground plot in a few weeks once the risk of a late season freeze has past (I am in Louisiana on the 8b/9a line). I currently have a mound where I plan to plant them of composted cow manure that is about 5 feet wide by about 15 feet long and 6 or so inches high that I put down last fall.

I also have available a large supply of somewhat fresher cattle manure available for free from the family cattle ranch and I am wondering if I should get some of it or if it would be too fresh and burn the bananas. The manure in question is mixed with hay, and partly composted some more so, some less and was from a recently cleaned out cattle lot, it is currently in 6-7 ft high piles and has been sitting for about 2 weeks, the cattle lots had been empty for another 2-3 weeks prior to being cleaned out, so the freshest manure was probably in a cow about 5-6 weeks ago, and the oldest is probably 3-4 months old.

So should I put down some of the fresher manure, if so how much?

Last edited by Isaac-1 : 02-20-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Isaac-1
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors