Thread: Hello folks!
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Snarkie
The Cat Whisperer

Zone: 8b
Name: D.A. Hänks
BananaBucks : 41,712
Said "Thanks" 813 Times
Was Thanked 1,364 Times in 785 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 749 Times
Default Re: Hello folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomppe View Post
Hi Snarkie, and thanks for asking! Suomi means Finland in finnish language, like Sweden is Sverige in swedish. It's the name of our nation.
It's pretty hard to tell how we pronouce it, because english and finnish languages are so different.
I quess you can find lots of "how to" videos from youtube.

And yes, I do know of those knives, I've made one in school myself. Unfortunately I lost it during a fishing trip couple of years ago. Nowadays I have kids so time for fishing is limited..
Also my neighbour makes them for sale.
Nice and handy knives.

Edit. Just ask if you want to know something more specific of them, I'll try to answer
Thanks for the info! When I was a kid, we had a Finnish exchange student named Virpi. I have a proof set of coins and it says, Suomi Finland on it, as well as all the stamps I have (love those glow in the dark stamps, by the way). I also have one of those knives, and of all the knives I own, it is the sharpest, with the best steel I've ever encountered. Very plain, but highest quality. Someone told me once, the company that puts them out, but I have forgotten. From what you are saying, they are all handmade from across the country and then put up for sale? Wow. So no two are alike. My small one was stolen when I was 14. I still have the sheath, with the reindeer fur on it, in case I can ever find a replacement knife. The big one has a smooth sheath without any fur.

Thank you so much for the info. This site can be much more informative than just bananas!

The Only Eastern Redwood Forest in America

Hell cat photo Hellcat.gif
"Nuke my 'nanners, will you?!"
Snarkie is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Snarkie