View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
raffi

BananaBucks : 703
Said "Thanks" 13 Times
Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Want delicious fruiting banana tree under 10 feet

Hi, I'm in Los Angeles, in a frost free zone and would like a small banana variety that gives delicious fruit. I planted a dwarf cavendish 2 years ago because it said 8-10 feet on the label and I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say it reached around 20 feet tall. I have cut it down in order to put in a much smaller banana.

All recommendations that meet those 2 requirements are welcome (under 10ft and delicious). I've looked at some of the varieties on the wiki and on Logee's and am tempted by the following varieties. Feedback on them is welcome. Especially appreciate warnings if they grow higher than advertised.

Musa Dwarf Ladyfinger - Bananas Wiki
Musa Dwarf Nino - Bananas Wiki
Musa Dwarf Orinoco - Bananas Wiki
Musa Dwarf Red - Bananas Wiki
Banana ‘Dwarf Iholena’ (Musa hybrid)
Banana ‘Lacatan’ (Musa hybrid)

Also, how high do you guys have experience with Super Dwarf Cavendish getting? 3 feet seems too small for the spot I have in mind in the yard, but if it really is that size and gives delicious fruit, I may try it in a different spot.

Thanks for any thoughts!
raffi is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To raffi

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors