View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 88,401
Said "Thanks" 1,741 Times
Was Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 414 Times
Default Re: Best Practice to grow TC Bananas

Thanks for the link, but that is for "field ready" plants. TC plantlets from Florida Hill Nursery & like suppliers are not "field ready" nor potted house plant ready for that matter. ... These (new) TC plantlets will not survive those procedures ... yet.

These plantlets have just been harden from in vitro to open air greenhouse shaded environment with a mist system. The plantlets have just grown its first roots, but have not grown a corm of any size.

To get the plantlets "field ready" they still need filtered sunlight and constant moisture until they grow the corm and obtain plant size. Then be acclimated to normal sunlight and outside environment. ... I've seen the micro prorogation videos for this, but this was for mass production in a shade house.

So that is my question ... does someone have a 'best practice' system to accomplish growing the TC and hardening it off to be 'field ready".

MY thoughts or what I will try with the next TC's:
** re-pot to sand and water with fertilizer twice a day (1/4 cup) tapering off as the plant grows. This is to keep fresh water to the roots and reduce root rot from excess stale water until obtaining stalk and corm size for self storage of water.

** Mist the plant daily with a spray bottle with water-fertilizer foliage mixture to assist plant, root and corm growth. This is how the in-vitro worked and the greenhouse misting system while the plantlet grew roots.

** Keep plantlets inside with filtered sunlight or grow lights until ready to be acclimated to the outside environment.

Dose anyone have a better way or additional suggestions?