View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
sputinc7

Zone: 9b
Name: Steve
BananaBucks : 101,681
Said "Thanks" 352 Times
Was Thanked 2,430 Times in 971 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 295 Times
Default Re: Unknown Tall Banana Maybe FHIA-1, 2, 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Namwa is almost universally sold as Goldfinger. The availability of true Goldfinger is highly suspect. Even the Goldfinger wiki photos are probably all false plants. Every time someone has sent me a corm of what was supposed to be the real thing, the nearby Beckman-Coulter lab has comeback with sequence ABB instead of AAAB.
I can vouch for the three pics of just the plants as not being Namwah, anyway. I have Namwah and the pink petioles and midrib is unmistakable and not in these pics. Other than that, I cannot input on this topic at this time.

In a year, maybe I can as I have two Goldfingers from different sources. I planted them beside each other to note any differences easily since one is said to be an "American" Goldfinger and the other the FHIA variety. Still waiting on the "American" to start pushing leaves as it was a stump in the mail. It looks like it is trying but they aren't breaking out yet.

Waiting impatiently for the end of winter... and some growth.
All my plants are growing leaves, albeit slower than summer, but one Namwah. Both Namwahs stopped growing after a cold snap a month or so ago. It was only low 40's, but stopped them dead in their tracks. One finally pushed a leaf the last few days but the other is still just sitting there.
Funny, my GM didn't slow at all from the cold.

https://sputinc7.wixsite.com/covwc

Varieties I supposedly bought: Manzano, Cavendish, Blue Java, Sweetheart, and Gros Michel.
What it seems I actually have: Brazilian, Cavendish, Namwah, Dwarf Red, Gros Michel, Pisang Ceylon, Veinte Cohol and SH 3640, and American Goldfinger. FHIA 1, Paggi and FHIA 17... Always room for one more.
sputinc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sputinc7
Said thanks: