View Single Post
Old 10-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #37 (permalink)
MBindy2000

BananaBucks : 21,984
Said "Thanks" 201 Times
Was Thanked 161 Times in 70 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: transplant idea question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverian View Post
Yes, I have Musa Basjoo.

Did you take a trash bag and cut a hole in the bottom, then slide it over the p-stem? Then fill it with mulch? And what do you use for mulch? I used grass/leaf clippings last year all around the base. That saved it from completely dying and I had new growth come up from nothing. The wrapping just didn't save the p-stem.

Indy and Denver probably have similar lows in winter. But Denver's lowest average high is 43 in Dec - Jan. Lows that time of year are typically in the mid teens to low 20s.

Vancouver is much warmer. Their average lows never get below freezing, although it does freeze every now and then. A much more garden-friendly climate!
Interesting, I don't much about Vancouver. I assumed it might be similar to Seattle. Anyway, to your question. Before I put the bag on I put a bunch of mulch in the area I assumed where the corm is and I did cut the bottom of a trash bag then put it over the stalk, then I put another layer of mulch. Then I bubble wrapped the stalk and then I packed the bag with hey(other yard waste would work fine). Then I put two more bags over the initial bag. I did this with one of my bananas the other day. On top of the second bag I put a tarp over the bag and put a trashcan over that. I'm sure it will keep it dry. We'll see what happens. I believe I can guarantee a success to this but what I'm learning on these discussions it might not be worth the hassle. Its seems more practical to bubble wrap in warmer climates, and in our climates we just need to cut them down and pile mulch on them. Whichever way we go about protecting our plants we should succeed.
MBindy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MBindy2000
Said thanks: