View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Eric1221

Zone: 7
BananaBucks : 35,569
Said "Thanks" 158 Times
Was Thanked 112 Times in 65 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Do you have to protect musa basjoo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwmax View Post
Basjoo plants have been know to survive sub-zero temps and are very cold hardy. But from the description of you plants, I think the plant & roots may still be too young & tender for freezing temps. I suggest bringing them inside in pots or as bare roots just to insure they will make it to next spring.

Of course, you can cut the pstem back, mulch very heavily & cover mulch & all with plastic and hope they will come back next spring.

Just my 2 cents worth ....
Thank you for replying ! I didn't realize you could bring them inside. I don'5 know if my family will be cool with a big banana stalk in a pot in the house lol. I may just cut t down and then mulch heavily so the root system can establish itself since it is the first year. One of my plants got big leaves in the firs yeat several 3 foot leaves by a foot and a half or so.. and there are several pups starting to emerge from the base of the plant..
I am very fascinated and excited about growing Pawpaws (Asimina triloba). I also am equally fascinated and excited to be growing: Pawpaw cultivars, Echinacea purpurea 'magnus', Asclepias tuberosa Butterfly Weed, Musa basjoo Cold Hardy Banana, Lycium barbarum 'Sweet Lifeberry', Passiflora incarnata 'hardy native maypop'.

Future projects: Indigenous/native host plants for butterflies such as: Zizia aurea Golden Alexanders, Eutrochium maculatum Joe Pye Weed, Asclepias incarnata Rose Milkweed.
Eric1221 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Eric1221
Said thanks: