View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 07:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
delonix87

BananaBucks : 54,225
Said "Thanks" 53 Times
Was Thanked 65 Times in 28 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Gros Michel Cold Tolerance Pt.2

Hi all

In 2012 I asked about experience with Gros Michel and cold tolerance. I've since grown them in the Sydney area which has a similar climate to Los Angeles but more wet and humid. I've found they are the least cold tolerant of all my bananas (bananas generally grow exceptionally well here). They seem to have thinner trunks and are a bit more fragile. Sometimes their trunks die down during winter but they always re-sprout with lots of suckers (pups).However, I had them in a dry, neglected part of the garden.I've now moved them to a warmer, sunnier part and will see how they fare this winter. Otherwise they are fairly robust and grow well. They have a very distinctive leaf; I caught a glimpse of artificial banana leaves in an old Carmen Miranda film and was certain they were modeled on GM - they have slightly wider, paddle-shaped leaves.
delonix87 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To delonix87
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors