View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 03:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
cincinnana
container grower

Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
BananaBucks : 1,017
Said "Thanks" 3,860 Times
Was Thanked 11,691 Times in 4,865 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,943 Times
Smile Re: Killing insects before bringing banana inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo999111 View Post
Hi, I have a dwarf banana that I plan on bringing inside for the winter in a pot. And I mean like inside inside. Probably by the window near my kitchen table. There isn't really any insect damage to the banana, but I want to make sure I kill as many insects as possible before moving it inside. There are definitely at least some type of mites in the soil that I want to clean up.

I thought I saw someone at some point say that they dunk their entire pot in water for a period of time to draw out or drown all insects. Not sure if that's right or not.

I also have some neem oil that I can start spraying. Also I have some sevin that I can also spray. But I'd like to know what other people do. Thanks!!

You may do this for all your tropical plants that have outdoors for the summer.

For the critters in the soil, make a soil drench with the Sevin or another insecticide of your choice and water your plant with it.

Use a saucer to collect the runoff and let your container sit in the liquid for a bit while your container soaks up the solution from the bottom.
Treat any overhanging areas on the container for hidden insects

I will cycle my plants over a few weeks period with this method as I prep them for bringing indoors
Repeat as needed.

You may spray them as well with what you chose.

Follow mixing directions for the Sevin for a pump sprayer

Last edited by cincinnana : 09-13-2016 at 06:11 AM.
cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Said thanks: