View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Davey

Zone: USDA 9 a
Name: Davey
BananaBucks : 6,969
Said "Thanks" 20 Times
Was Thanked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default 1st ID what I have....need help!

Grown here in Baton Rouge, humid zone 8b, near sub-tropics, for 20 yrs in my garden, and grown for many yrs as a pass-around plant around town. Thats hubby in the pic, for scale. He's 6'4". Most yrs produces a cluster of 18-20 something 6-8" fat, distinctly flat-sided, sweet, yellow, slow-to-ripen, and rather bland-tasting fruits. Definitely different than grocery store bananas which are usually longer, slimmer, sweeter, and more banana-flavored. We also use the thick leaves to steam fish on the grill; works great. Can get to 20' or more in some gardens. Our clump is slightly shorter. Some winters it goes to rotting mush and I have to prune most of the stalk back, but usually, our mild winters only kill the leaves & leave stalk intact. It can get to be an invasive pest in some gardens, via root "pups", if not corralled. The yrs I fertilize it more & remember to water thru dry period it has more and slightly larger fruit on the clusters, additional clusters, etc.. Anyhow......would like to get some different, tastier varieties growing in the garden, so, I would like to NOT end up with this one again. So I need to know what to call it. Locals just say, "It's a 'Cavendish', which is little help. Also would like to grow, if I could, some of the cooking bananas so common in Carribbean dishes. Also one I've heard about that sounds intriguing, called "Ice Cream". So any help with i.d. on this old garden standby is much appreciated! Miriam/ Rex Davey, Baton Rouge, LA
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Davey
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors