View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
sputinc7

Zone: 9b
Name: Steve
BananaBucks : 101,044
Said "Thanks" 352 Times
Was Thanked 2,430 Times in 971 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 295 Times
Default G.M. , Paggi and Mysore

A big thank you to Nick Naranja for having me as his guest to finally get to try a few varieties, including the GM I have been wanting to try.

I find the GM to be an excellent variety of the "Banana flavored" type. They took almost a week to ripen, but we are eating them now. Great flavor and texture. I, like many others, find them better on the greener side of ripe. They are kind of like Cavendish on steroids. Thick hides, too. A couple had what looked to be a big bruise on the outside, but not a trace on the banana itself.

I found them a bit of a let down, though as he also gave us a partially ripe bunch of Paggi, which I found very delicious, delectable, wonderfully flavored as well as scented. (Did I overdo it, there?) They were the best bananas I have had so far. Very fruity, with what I call hints of raspberry and lemon and maybe a little strawberry in there with a small amount of banana-ey flavor, too.

One downfall, though... About the time they are nearly ripe and ready to eat, the fruit just falls off, breaking at the top of the fruit revealing the open top of the banana. Add to that the fact they also turn to mush when bruising, even slightly and they need to be handled with great care... but the taste is worth putting up with all that. Besides, I found myself waiting for one to fall off so I could eat it! I strongly recommend the variety.

Mysore were sweet and a bit tart, my wife's favorite. (Me and the kids liked the Paggi much more.) Small though. Reminded me a lot of the Brazilians I grow.

On a scale of 1-10, where 1= "I'm gonna barf" and 5 is Cavendish and 10= eat till you pop cause you just can't stop I rate Mysore about 7, GM about 8 and Paggi 9, or more.

Blue Java and 3640 are now top of my list to try along with Namwah.

https://sputinc7.wixsite.com/covwc

Varieties I supposedly bought: Manzano, Cavendish, Blue Java, Sweetheart, and Gros Michel.
What it seems I actually have: Brazilian, Cavendish, Namwah, Dwarf Red, Gros Michel, Pisang Ceylon, Veinte Cohol and SH 3640, and American Goldfinger. FHIA 1, Paggi and FHIA 17... Always room for one more.
sputinc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sputinc7
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors