View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #35 (permalink)
Island Brah

Zone: 7b & 8a Border
Name: Island Brah
BananaBucks : 56,164
Said "Thanks" 556 Times
Was Thanked 345 Times in 117 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 27 Times
Default Re: Overwintering Basjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.hulva@coxinet.net View Post
I to over wintered several varieties last year and had good results. Lost a couple Basjoo's. Applied mulch with straw and covered with a tarp. When I uncovered the were wet. I never could decide whether they froze or just got too wet. I think the tarp held in too much moisture or not. I would think the tarp would keep out most water but it would may just hold it in. We had a very mild winter no lower than +15 for a day or two. I am going to try a coarser mulch along with some new ideas.
I've had some folks that live in zone 7b and 8a tell me they just use the shredded pine mulch(not nuggets) around the base with great success.

Depending on how you had the tarp setup, I'd guess condensation formed most of the days when the sun came out and the ground heated up a little. maybe try having the tarp raised off the ground a little so it can breath but still keep the heavy water out?

I know this has probably been advised/explained a million times on this forum but I'm planning on constructing a cage around the p-stem using rebar and concrete reinforcing wire (this is a sturdier material than chicken wire) if I can find some with the holes small enough to hold mulched leaves. Then add mulched leaves in the cage around the p-stem. This seems easier than making a pvc or wood cage frame in my opinion. Plus, less on an eye sore too.

There is an article I googled here that explains it: Article on Hardy Banana Trees | Musa, Musella, Ensete

From the testimonies I hear of the basjoo growers in my area/zone, I think this should be plenty for the basjoo p-stem to survive in zone 7b or 8a. Some of my friends that grow basjoos near me just leave the p-stems whole and do nothing and they come back every year just about right were they left off. I want to do the cage/mulched leaves method just for an insurance policy for my first winter as i only have 1 pup so far.

I believe it's definitely a trial and error type of thing which works best for someone and their tailored scenario. I'm sure any method will work if you learn the tricks/hacks for that specific method.

I'm far from an experienced banana grower as this will be my first winter with bajoos so I have zero experience with this. I came up with this conclusion just going by all the testimonies I've received from the folks in zone 7b and 8a.

Almost every youtube video I see of people wrapping their basjoos in bubble wrap directly on the p-stem most always come back and say they didn't make it through the winter. It's obvious the p-stem needs to breath to avoid condensation after a rain or from its own heat from the winter sun.

When I get edible varieties, I'll be using a different method I learned about from a good friend on this forum.

Last edited by Island Brah : 07-20-2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Island Brah is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Island Brah
Said thanks:
Sponsors