View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 08:26 AM   #28 (permalink)
drobbins

Zone: 7b-8a
BananaBucks : 16,688
Said "Thanks" 11 Times
Was Thanked 147 Times in 60 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Overwintering Basjoo

Hi Folks,

Haven't been reading the forums lately, the weather's too nice outside.
I overwintered 4 mats of basjoo, 2 were on the north side of the house where it's always a little shady, the other 2 were at the edge of the yard by woods so they don't really get full sun either. The ones by the house get taken a little better care of. I cut the pstems off about 3 feet tall last fall, threw some leaves a neighbor had raked up and left by the curb on them for mulch and covered them with a tarp.The ones by the woods I put some mulch on but that's all.
They all survived but the ones by the house are much bigger now, probably over 15 feet tall. The other ones are about 5 feet. Hard for me to believe the difference is only how I overwintered them. The ones by the house probably get pampered a little more with water and fertilizer. They also may get some more sun.

An interesting note: my wife knows someone in Memphis Tenn with basjoo. Their climate zone is about the same as here. They had one bloom back the second week of June. That simply blows me away, I've never had a bloom.

Anyway, here's some pics

From ground level
[IMG][/IMG]

From my deck 8 feet in the air
[IMG][/IMG]

The ones by the woods
Said thanks: