View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Island Brah

Zone: 7b & 8a Border
Name: Island Brah
BananaBucks : 16,768
Said "Thanks" 424 Times
Was Thanked 270 Times in 92 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: Container banana soil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
I would avoid using pine bark or anything woody. As it breaks down, it will take away nitrogen which would otherwise go to the plant, so you will have to over fertilize to compensate. Since bananas are heavy feeders, it is tempting to feed a lot with sythetic fertilizers, but in a containerized situation they can easily accumulate and cause more problems than they are solving. For this reason, it is best to mix in most of the fertilizer ahead of time, and you can meet most of the nutrient requirements with a healthy portion of compost. You can also choose to mix in some slow release fertilizer too.

For long term growth in pots, I would use something like:

1/3 perlite
1/3 compost
1/3 peat or coconut coir
Gabe15, you always have the most straight forward advice which does not leave me more confused lol. Thanks! I transplanted my first crop of Basjoo this year from a a friend's property. They are young and about 4-5 feet tall now. They just started to have pups of their own break through the soil and I was thinking about putting them indoor over the winter to maximize growth.

Questions:

Will this soil recipe work for indoor and outdoor potted bananas?

Will this soil recipe be best for all types of banana trees?

I have 0.5 - 0.5 - 0.5 Black Kow(composted manure), can I use this as the 1/3 compost you advised or do I need to use straight compost?

Do you recommend gravel or coarse sand at the bottom of the pot?

Do you have experience with palm and cactus mix?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks!!

Last edited by Island Brah : 07-05-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Island Brah is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Island Brah
Said thanks: