View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
bigdog

Zone: 8b
Name: Frank
BananaBucks : 732,814
Said "Thanks" 212 Times
Was Thanked 1,787 Times in 502 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 131 Times
Send a message via AIM to bigdog Send a message via MSN to bigdog
Default Musa aurantiaca germination

Just had my first one of these pop up within the past couple of days! I have a plant in the greenhouse from somebody else, and it is a beauty.

Germination occured within 4 weeks, 1 out of 50 seeds (so far). Seeds were soaked for about 60 hours, with water changed daily. Setup is one of those little roasted chicken containers (!) from the grocery store, a sterile medium of coconut fiber and perlite, a human heating pad (as opposed to a reptile heating pad, I guess) with the setting on high heat, 19 hours off, 5 hours on. I do have some light getting to it, but very dim.

On a side note, these seeds are old! I ordered them from Trebrown Nurseries about one year ago, but had lots of problems with my permit, shipping to the wrong address, back to the UK, etc. I finally got them a couple of months ago, long after giving up hope on them. I was pretty surprised to get any to sprout at all. If I can get this new sprout to live, I'll be able to test the other one outside this year.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bigdog

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors