View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tytaylor77
Banana Plants for Trade

Zone: 8b
Name: Ty
BananaBucks : 41,111
Said "Thanks" 4,612 Times
Was Thanked 3,725 Times in 1,185 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 424 Times
Default Re: Help! Musa Basjoo not doing well

No I have a winter for sure. I cover some. Some die and come back. And some make it untouched. My GM is still very small. My gran Nain hate the cold. So do my Veinte cohol.

Last year I had the following uncovered and they only lost leaves:
Goldfinger. Manzano. Orinoco. Basjoo. Namwa.

The coldest it got last year here was 30. And under 32 a total of 3-4 times. Was a very mild winter.

I also live on the lake. Toledo Bend wraps around my north and east sides. I think that helps a lot. The lake is about 5-6 miles wide where I am it's about 70 miles long if I remember right. It's the largest lake in TX, the south, and 5th largest in the US.

I have 4 fruiting now. Lots more on the way. I'm starting to focus more on dwarfs and short cycle varieties. Dwarfs are so much easier to cover.

All I do is after the leaves are burnt off by the first major frost. (This year it was into January). I put 3 poles in the ground. Wood. Metal. PVC. Whatever I can find. Then I wrap the PS with Christmas lights. The small tiny kind. Then I stick a black trash bag on top and wrap with pallet wrap. About 3 layers thick. It takes seriously 10 minutes per tree and is easy. Shorter the plant easier it is.

I just love growing bananas. So far I have been pretty successful. Not compared to the tropics but for zone 8b.

I also have Meyer lemon trees that are 15+ years old. Never froze to the ground. Also have huge Hamlin orange trees. 4 different varieties of manderin. Kumquat. 2 types of Mexican avocado. Several figs. My Texas everberring is 20'+ tall. No protection after the first couple years on any citrus etc.

Last edited by Tytaylor77 : 06-07-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Tytaylor77 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tytaylor77
Said thanks:
Sponsors