View Single Post
Old 05-30-2016, 01:08 AM   #33 (permalink)
Gabe15

Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
BananaBucks : 13,338,287
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 8,237 Times in 2,200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: Are these bananas Muso Basjo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputinc7 View Post
That said, I am curious of how you became the resident banana expert here.. College or just lots of experience or just lurking here for over a decade?
Well, not trying to brag or anything, but I do consider myself an expert as I am a member of the Musa Taxonomic Advisory Group. We do a number of different things, including verifying ID correctness for the global Musa genebank held in Belgium and providing guidance to the global banana research community on matters having to do with taxonomy, classification and identification.

https://sites.google.com/a/cgxchange...visorary-group

I got to the level I am at by reading endlessly about bananas for many years, working at banana research field collections, growing hundreds of different varieties, observing and documenting many thousands of banana plants of many hundreds of varieties in many different areas of the banana growing world, and studying with veteran professionals in the banana research community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbananas View Post
Will take your comments in to strong consideration. But until government officials confirm the identify of the plants as Musa Basjoo I can not be satisfied. Because if anyone knows about bananas it's the government. I'm trying to go bananas in a organized fashion and that requires official confirmation. :
I can still be wrong, and there is always more to learn, but I can confidently say you won't be finding any more accurate or revealing answers about this subject than I can provide. Internet through my computer is temporarily down,
I'm only able to use my phone, and so I'm not able to show any example photos of how to easily ID M. basjoo right now, but perhaps when that's back up and running I'll find some time to share some.

Last edited by Gabe15 : 05-30-2016 at 01:21 AM.
Gabe15 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Gabe15
Said thanks: